As the name suggests, Jal Mahal is a palace surrounded by water. Constructed by Shah Quli Khan who was the ruler of Narnaul and an officer in Akbar's court, in 1591, the monuments represent a stunning blend of Persian and Indian architecture.
It stands in the middle of a water tank which is now dry. A causeway from the north, which opens through an arched entrance, leads to the tank. Four minarets surround the main building, and they all have stairs leading to the top. The lower chambers have disintegrated, and no trace of them can be found.
The interior is mainly decorated in golden colour and has paintings, designs and geometric patterns on the walls and ceiling. The Jal Mahal is a historic building which is now under the supervision of the Government of Haryana; the government has repaired and refilled it.
Dhosi Hill is located about 5 km from Narnaul. The site is actually an extinct volcano and even today lava can be found here. However, there is another reason for its claim to fame and that is the ashram of the revered Vedic period Rishi, Chayvan Rishi.
It is believed that it was here that the herbal preparation of 'Chayvanprash' was first prepared. The tonic is still widely popular with the people, especially those who swear by Ayurveda. Besides, the hill is also home to a beautiful water reservoir.
Dhosi Hill finds mention in several sacred texts of the Hindus such as Brahamanas, Mahabharata and Puranas. The epic Mahabharata describes the hill having features such as 'three distinct hill tops', and 'three perennial water falls'.
The tomb consecrates the memory of Sher Shah Suri’s grandfather, Ibrahim Suri, who used to be the ruler of Bengal. The tomb was built by Sheikh Ahmad Niyazi, the personal architect of Sher Shah Suri. The monument is built in Persian style and reflects the architecture of its times.
This tomb, which seems more like a mosque, is dedicated to saint Hazarat Turkman, who is believed to have lived here in the 12th century A.D. A dome built outside covers the original tomb. Years later, a verandah was added by the British. The Mughal period also witnessed further additions to the tomb.
The monument attracts devotees from all religions who come here to pray for the fulfilment of their desires.
The Chor Gumbad was built by the Afghan Jamal Khan during the rule of Feroz Shah Tughlaq. This well-planned square building has four minarets on the outside and a large chamber within. Later, it became a hideout for robbers and thieves, and that is why the building is called Chor Gumbad – chor is Hindi for thieves.
The monument is called the ‘signboard of the town’ and is set separately from the other buildings in Narnaul. An important landmark of the area, it was recently repaired to ensure its structural stability.
The Tripolia gateway was constructed in 1589 AD by Shah Quili Khan. The gateway, built from broken down masonry, was to serve as the primary entrance to a garden that had three other gates as well. An octagonal tomb made of red and grey sandstone is also located here. The tomb is the final resting place of Quili Khan and is known as Aram-i-Kausa.
The Chatta Rai Bal Mukund Das is a huge palace which was built by Rai Bal Mukund Das, who was the Diwan of Narnaul during the reign of Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan. Spread across five stories, the palace features several rooms, halls and pavilions.
The inner chambers, or the Diwan-e-Khas have marble floors and pillars. The palace has several fountains and springs to bring in some coolness in summer. The Persian wheel was used to fill water into the reservoirs from where the water flowed down at a great speed.
The fountains, however, are no longer working. The palace used to have underground chambers and was built in a way that light could stream in three layers. It also had tunnels that led directly to Delhi, Jaipur and Mahendragarh. Only one such chamber remains today.
Baoli is a water well. The Mirza Ali Jan’s Baoli, found to the northwest of Narnaul, was built by Mirza Ali Jan, the Nawab of Narnaul during Akbar’s reign. The water well is surrounded by a Chhotta Bara Talaab (small and big ponds).
The main building is shaped like a huge arched gateway and topped by a Takht (Throne) and a Chhatri (Umbrella). Eight pillars support the decorated chhatri. Steps from the pillars lead down to the well.
The temple is believed to have been built by Raja Naun Karan, the ruler of the area who was a great devotee of the Goddess Chamunda. Constructed at the bottom of a hill, the temple is located at the heart of the city. Years later, Narnaul and the surrounding area came under the control of the Mughal rulers who built a mosque here.
Post-independence, the people dug up the area and the temple came to light, though in a dilapidated condition. Today, it is the most visited temple of the town and attracts devotees from far and wide who come here to have their wishes fulfilled.
Situated on the Narnaul-Rewari road near the New Bus Stand, this temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is the only temple in Narnaul which attracts all members of the family to come and pray to Lord Shiva and other Hindu gods and goddesses.
A legend has it that a man while digging his fields, came across a Shivling. When he was asleep, a voice resonated instructing him to build a temple to Lord Shiva housing the shivling. The temple was built and ever since it has been attracting devotees. Popular belief has it that those who pray here will have their wishes fulfilled.
As the name suggests, the temple is dedicated to the Hindu god Hanumanji. Situated at Narnaul-Singhana road, the temple enjoys a scenic location encompassing mountains and greenery. The statue of Lord Hanuman dominates the Aravali Hills.
The serenity of the surroundings adds to the mystique of the temple. Those visiting the temple can also visit the nearby Dhosi Hill, which is actually an extinct volcano with a crater lake.
Constructed in 1589 AD by Shah Quli Khan, the governor of Narnaul during the reign of Akbar, the Tripolia Darwaza served as the main entrance to his garden. This garden also had three more gateways. The tomb of Shah Quli Khan, which he constructed for himself in 1574-75 AD is also located here.
The octagonal platform on which the tomb is located can be approached from the south. Made of grey and red sandstone, the tomb presents a remarkable appearance. A thin passage, supported on projecting brackets, runs all along the base of the arched openings and recesses.
The interior of the tomb comprises two stories. The lower level is made of marble while the second story is made of beautiful lime plaster. The tomb is topped by a low dome meeting constructed over a high octagonal drum.
Sarovar is a Hindi word for pond. Janki Sarovar is located near Mishrwara Mohalla and is a beautiful place to relax and unwind. An old and famous temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is also located here, and it attracts devotees the year round, and more so during Shivratri.
The Gurukul is located on the Narnaul-Nangal Chaudhari Road in the village of Khanpur. This gurukul, known as Aarsh Gurukul, is managed under the guidance of Acharya Praduman ji Maharaj, a famous guru of Sanskrit and Vedic tradition. The famous yoga guru, Swami Ramdev completed his initial education here under the guidance of Acharya Praduman ji Maharaj.
This mausoleum commemorates the memory of Sher Shah Suri’s grandfather, Ibrahim Suri, who reigned over Bengal. This tomb was built by Sheikh Ahmad Niyazi, the personal architect of Sher Shah Suri in the prevalent Persian-style architecture.