One of the most important historical landmarks in Lucknow, the Residency comprises a number of buildings. Its construction was started by Nawab Asaf-ud-daula in 1775 and was completed by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan in 1800 AD. Located on the bank of River Gomti, it was meant to be the residence of the then British Resident General, the representative of the British government in the court of the Nawab. The complex played a vital role in the famous Siege of Lucknow during the first war of Indian Independence.
A major part of the Residency was destroyed during the battles between the English forces and the Indian rebels. It has been retained as it was left after the war. The cracked and broken walls of the building still bear the marks of the cannon balls.
It is surrounded by beautifully landscaped lawns grown over by flower beds. There is also a ruined church with a cemetery that has graves of about 2000 English soldiers, men, women and children. A light and sound show on the history of the Residency is held every evening.
An 1857 Memorial Museum has also been set up here to depict an accurate presentation of the India's First war of independence in 1857 in the Awadh.