Dilkusha Kothi is situated in the Dilkush area of Lucknow on Gomti River. Constructed in 1800 by a British Major Gore Ouseley, a friend of Nawab Saadat Ali Khan, the then Nawab of Awadh, this ancient monument currently lies in ruined state.
The architectural design of the building was based primarily on the pattern of the Seaton Delaval Hall of Northumberland in England. It was originally built to serve as a hunting lodge for the Nawabs, but later on it came to be used as their summer house as well.
Strangely enough the Kothi does not have any courtyard and appears undersized for the residence of the Nawabs who generally live in spacious palaces.
It acquired a great historical importance when it was used by the freedom fighters during the first war of Indian Independence in 1857. It was, however, captured by the British forces after a heavy bombardment and consequently it lost all its glory and magnificence.