Shankaracharya Temple stands at a height of 1100 ft above the city surface of Srinagar, on the Shankaracharya Hill popularly known as Takht-e-Suleiman. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu god of destruction, Shiva.
It is believed that the temple was built in 371 B.C by Raja Gopadatya, after whom the temple was named, making it one of the oldest temples in the valley of Kashmir. The name of the temple was later changed from Gopadari to Shankaracharya Temple after Adi Shankaracharya supposedly stayed here during his tour of Kashmir.
The Dogra ruler, Maharaja Gulab Singh, later added stone stairs up to the Temple for the convenience of the devotees. The electrification of this temple took place in 1925. Besides being a major religious centre for Hindus, this temple holds great archaeological value.