Situated close to Akbar’s tomb in Sikandra, the square shaped Kanch Mahal is a testimony to the best features of domestic Mughal architecture. Records show that the mahal was built from 1605 to 1619. It is called Kanch Mahal because of the abundant use of tile work in its construction. The exterior is covered with plaster inlaid with artistically carved red stone and is decorated with sunk circular niches which have wine-vases, flowery creepers and geometrical designs.
The palace was originally built as a residence or haram for the royal ladies but was later on used as Shikargah-hunting lodge-by Jahangir. Built over two stories, the mansion has a square room on each of its four sides. There are two openings to allow unhindered entry of sunlight and air into the main hall. The rooms are built with jharokhas and balconies, both for decoration and ventilation. The building is surrounded by a magnificent garden with water channels, tanks, and causeways.