Palakkad Fort, better known as Tipu’s Fort, is a popular heritage building in Palakkad district. The fort, constructed in 1766 by the great Mysore king Haider Ali, lies at the heart of Palakkad town and is easily accessible by road.
The fort used to be a major center for the military activities of the Mysorean rulers. A spacious ground, locally known as Kotta Maidanam or Fort Grounds, is located close to the fort. History has it that the ground was once the stable where the animals of Tipu Sultan’s army were kept and reared. Today the ground serves as an excellent location for meetings, sports matches and exhibitions.
The major attractions in and around the fort include a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman, a martyr's column, the district sub jail and an open air auditorium maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Timings: 9 AM to 5 PM (On all days)