The Sun Temple is situated on Kasia-Tamkuhi road at a place called Turkpatti, approximately 17 kilometers from Kushinagar. Its existence dates back to ancient times and is mentioned in Puranas such as Sikand Purana and Markanday Purana.
It is believed that the excavations carried out in the 4th, 5th, 8th and 9th century found two statues of the sun god which are currently lodged in the Sun Temple. The statues are made of black stone called Neelmani stone by the residents of the area. The temple was built during the reign of Gupta Dynasty.
The old temple discovered during the excavations carried out by General A. Cunningham, the first Archaeological Surveyor of India, in 1876 was renovated and was opened to public on 30th of July 1981.
It is believed that Mondays and Fridays are the most auspicious days to visit the temple. It attracts huge crowds of devotees on the 6th day of Kartik and 13th day of Falgun months and also during the festival of Janamashtami.