B M Birla Planetarium is a popular tourist spot of Jaipur. The place is equipped with the latest computerised projection systems and provides spectacular audiovisual entertainment. It is counted amongst the modern planetariums of the country having a science museum.
Gaitore is the final resting place of the kings of Jaipur and is located opposite the Man Sagar Lake on the Jaipur-Amber Road. The place has cenotaphs of the earlier kings consisting of umbrella or chattri-shaped memorials made of marble and sandstone.
Anokhi Museum of Hand Printing is located in the old Chanwar Palki Walon ki Haveli. It is a charitable foundation working for the preservation of the traditional works of the artists of Jaipur. The NGO provides training as well as employment opportunities to the budding artists. The main aim of this foundation is to renew the ancient tradition of hand block printing. In the museum, there is a cafe and a shop selling handmade items including cards, jewellery and clothes.
Galtaji is a religious place located at a distance of about 10 km from Jaipur. There are temples, pavilions and natural springs in the complex of Galtaji. The place is located amidst hilly terrains. The temple present here is dedicated to Sun God. It was constructed on the highest peak by Diwan Kriparam and can be seen from almost every part of the city. Pink sandstones are used to construct this temple and its walls are beautifully embellished with paintings and carvings.
Hawa Mahal is a renowned monument constructed by Sawai Pratap Singh, the poet king of Jaipur in 1799. The five-storeyed building located near the Johari Bazaar is made of red and pink sandstone. The structure was designed by Lal Chand Usta and has more than 950 windows. The palace was built for the women of the palace so that they could enjoy the view of royal processions through the jali screens. There is an archaeological museum located in the building.
Albert Hall was built by Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh in 1886 as a part of the drought relief project of Rs 4 Lacs. It is located in Ram Niwas Bagh, a picturesque garden of Jaipur. The building was designed by Sir Swinton Jacob. Nowadays, Albert Hall is being used as a museum displaying a grand collection of metal sculptures, paintings, ivory, carpets and colourful crystals. A zoo and the Ravindra Rang Manch (theatre) are located nearby. The Albert Hall Museum is open to visitors from 9 am to 5 pm. The entry fee is quite nominal, standing at Rs 20 for Indians and Rs 150 for foreign tourists.
Amber Fort was built by Raja Man Singh, Mirza Raja Jai Singh and Sawai Jai Singh in a period of about 200 years. It was the capital of the rulers of Kachchawaha for almost seven years before Jaipur came into existence.
The fort, which is located on the banks Mootha Lake, has palaces, pavilions, halls, temples and gardens. Elephant rides are available for the tourists so that they can enjoy the views of the palace from the top of the jumbo. There is a beautiful temple dedicated to the Hindu Goddess Shila Mata in the complex of the palace. Diwan-e-Aam, Sheesh Mahal, Ganesh Pole, Sukh Niwas, Jas Mandir, Dilaram Bagh and Mohan Bari are some of the other tourist attractions of Amber Fort.
Chandra Mahal was constructed by the king of Jaipur, Jai Singh II, and is located in the City Palace. The mahal covers one-seventh part of the area of the palace, and at present it is home to the maharaja of Jaipur. The place is noted for its beautiful floral embellishments, mirrored walls and mural paintings. There is a seven-storeyed citadel here, the first two floors of which are part of the Sukh Niwas Hall. In addition, there is the Rang Mandir, the Shobha Niwas or the House of Beauty and the Chavi Niwas or the House of Mirrors.
Ganesh Pol, situated in the main palace of the Amber Fort, was constructed by King Jai Singh II between the years of 1611 and 1667. There are seven main gates in the Amber Fort, and Ganesh Pol is one of them. The entry through this gate was exclusive to the kings and their families so that they could easily get inside the fort and into their private chambers without being disturbed. A magnificent idol of the Hindu Lord Ganesh done in beautiful colours is placed here. The gate represents the amalgamation of the Mughal and the Rajput styles of architecture.
Jaigarh Fort, also known as the Fort of Victory, is one of the noted tourist attractions of Jaipur located 15 km from the main city. It is perched at an elevation of 400 ft from the Amber Fort on the Hill of Eagles. The fort has two main entrances known as the Dungar Darwaza and the Awani Darwaza, which face the south and the east directions respectively. The Sagar Talav located in the fort is the main water storage system of the fort.
The fort was constructed to serve the military purposes and its walls covered an area of around 3 km. On the top of the fort, there is a huge cannon called Jaivan, weighing 50 tonnes. Possessing an 8 m long barrel, the cannon is counted among the largest cannon on wheels across the globe. The highest point of the fort is the Diya Burj, a seven-storeyed structure providing a panoramic view of the entire city.
Rumour has it that there is a treasure buried in the fort. The fort also has a museum where ancient coins, cannons and puppets are displayed.
Akshardham Temple is one of the well-known tourist attractions of Jaipur. The temple, located in Vaishali Nagar, is noted for its beautiful architecture, magnificent idols, sculptures and carvings. This shrine is dedicated to the Hindu God Narayan.
City Palace is a popular heritage site situated in the heart of Jaipur. It is one of the magnificent buildings of the city. This beautiful palace was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh, the founder of Jaipur. The palace is a beautiful amalgamation of the Rajput and the Mughal styles of architecture.
There is the Mubarak Mahal (or the palace of welcome) at the entrance of the complex. It was constructed in the 19th century by Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh and was used as a reception area. Now, this building has turned into a museum devoted to King Sawai Man Singh II of Jaipur. A variety of royal attire along with Banarasi silk sarees and Pashmina shawls are put on display in the museum. The heavy clothes worn by Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh I (1750-1768) can also be seen here.
Maharani Palace or Queen’s Palace is present in the complex of City Palace and proudly exhibits ancient Rajput weapons. The museum contains ivory-handled swords, chain armours, guns, pistols, cannons, poison-tipped blades and pouches of gunpowder. Amongst all, the scissor-action dagger is the most notable weapon. Some of these weaponry dates back to the 15th century.
City Palace is open to visitors from 9 am to 5 pm and charges an entry fee of Rs 75 from Indians and Rs 300 from foreign tourists.
Central Park is the largest park of Jaipur constructed by the Jaipur Development Authority. It is situated in the centre of the city and boasts of a big garden along with the Rambagh Polo Ground. A 5 km long jogging and walking track is also there in the garden. The place is ideal for birdwatchers as a number of migratory and native birds come here every year.
Jain Mandir is a beautiful seven-storeyed building resembling the temples of Dilwara in Mount Abu. The construction of the mandir was completed in the 10th century.
The temple is dedicated to Lord Adinath and the idol of the deity is believed to be more than 400 years old. There is also an idol of Lord Parshvanath along with figurines of different flowers and animals in the temple.
Govind Dev Ji Temple, dedicated to the Hindu Lord Krishna, is located in the Jai Niwas Garden. The idol of the deity was originally kept in a temple of Vrindavan, but later the king of Jaipur, Sawai Jai Singh II, reinstalled it here as his family deity. It is one of the most popular shrines of Jaipur, which attracts a large number of devotees every year.