For the rest of the country, the north-east region of India still revolves around the city of Guwahati. Probably because the city is home to the only airport amongst the Seven Sister States; it is also the first entry point not only to Assam but also to the other states in the region.
However, coming to a conclusion that the city is the only a gateway to the magical land is doing injustice to the number of tourist sites which are found in the beautiful town-hidden from the gaze of the tourists.
Guwahati, at first, would come across as a normal developing city in the country due its rapid infrastructural development and commercial uprising. However, this fact takes little away from the grandeur of a fast-developing city. The presence of the majestic Brahmaputra and the large number of hills surround the city and contribute to the many beautiful scenic landscapes and sounds.
Kamakhya Temple is one of those shrines which attracts devotees from various parts of the country in large numbers. Considered as one of the oldest shrines dedicated to Mother Goddess, the original date of its construction is lost in the sands of time.
The structure was damaged by several invaders during the 16th century and has undergone several renovations. The place is one of the rare temples where devotees come in large numbers for the tantric worship of the goddess.
Kamakhya is one amongst the 51 Shakti Peethas of the goddess. Here one would not come across any idol to worship but the yoni of Devi is worshipped with utmost devotion and is home to various unique rituals and practises.
PC: Vikramjit Kakati
Named after the first prime minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the park is located at the heart of the city, opposite the renowned Cotton College. The place is one of the greenest and most attractive places to visit in Guwahati.
Visitors are drawn here mainly due to its lush greenery and the musical fountain; apart from this, the park is home to an open air theatre, a variety of flowers and a number statues.
Assam State Museum
The Assam State Museum is a place every history buff must visit. The museum claims to be the largest multipurpose museum in India and has well-defined sections for every artefact and display which makes it well known for its organised arrangement.
Started in the year 1940, the museum was built after the efforts put forth by the Kamarupa Anusandahn Samiti also known as Assam Research Society. The place showcases a colonial touch in its functioning and structure which further adds on the heritage value of the museum.
Basistha Ashram Temple
Located at a distance of 10 km from the city limits is the Basistha Ashram Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The structure was constructed by the Ahom king Rajeswar Singha, in the year 1764, next to a small stream.
The temple gets its name from sage Vasistha, as it is believed that the sage had his ashram set-up in the very location.
The stream which flows adjacent to the shrine originates from the state of Meghalaya and transforms into the Bharalu river once it enters Guwahati.
The temple is a must visit while one is in the city, not only for its spiritual connection but also for its unparalleled natural beauty.
PC: Homen Biswas
One might be wondering why a bridge attracts tourists. Well, the Saraighat Bridge holds an important place in the history of Assam. In the year 1671, the Mughals attacked Assam with a large army.
However, the Ahoms, who were ruling the place at that time, drove the Mughals away after an epic battle was fought under the leadership of Lachit Borphukan. The war happened at the site where this violent battle was fought on the waters of the Brahmaputra.
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, Umananda Temple is situated on the Peacock Island, in the mighty Brahmaputra. The island is considered as the smallest river island in the globe and is connected with the city by a ferry service which operates from the Kachari Ghat in Guwahati.
The shrine is located atop a hill which is named as Bhasmachala. According to legends, Lord Shiva reduced Kamadeva to ashes for disturbing his meditation at this place. The shrine was built in 1694 by Gadadhar Singh and has been a major pilgrimage site ever since.