Banaras Hindu University, popularly known as the BHU, owes its origin to the dedicated efforts of Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya, a prominent patriot, social reformer, educationist and political activist of India.
The foundation stone of the university was laid on 4th February, 1916 by Lord Hardinge, the then Viceroy of India. With more than twenty thousand students on its rolls and above sixty hostels, it is considered to be the largest residential university in Asia. In fact, it was once known as the ‘Oxford of the East.’
The main campus measures more than 1300 acres. The land was donated by the ruler of Varanasi. The university has another campus located about 60 km from the city at a place called Barkachha in Mirzapur district. This campus is known as Rajiv Gandhi South Campus. The university has four main institutes comprising 14 teaching faculties and 140 departments. It attracts students from more than 34 countries across the world.