The Lakshmi Vilas Palace
This palace was built during the time of Maharaja Sayajirao in1890 and he had appointed Major Charles Mant was the construction of the Palace, the work was later completed by R.F. Chisolm. Built according to the Indo-Saracenic tradition the architectural style of this palace is a fusion of Indian, Islamic, and European elements.
The mosaic tile, multi-coloured marble, numerous art works, courtyards full of palms and fountains on the entrance-ways are some architectural features to be enjoyed while visiting the palace. In those days itself this palace had modern facilities like the elevators. The Darbar Hall with its formidable collection of sculptures in bronze, marble & terracotta by Fellicci, landscaped gardens done by William Goldring can be any tourist's delight. The Moti Baug Palace and the Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum within the premises of the Palace are also worth seeing . Adjacent to Moti Baug Palace is the Moti Baug Cricket ground which also has a rare indoor teak floored tennis court and badminton court.
The Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum has a huge collection of Raja Ravi Verma's paintings those which were especially commissioned by the Maharaja. The museum also has Japanese, Chinese and Italian sculptures made in marble and bronze. The Chinese and Japanese Sculptures were collected by the Maharaja from the subsequent countries and the Italian sculptures were commissioned to Italian Sculptor Fellicci. For visiting the palace prior permission from the Maharaja’s secretary in the palace office is required.
The Nazarbaugh Palace
Made of white-stucco, the Nazarbaugh Palace was the guest house of the royal family. It now the houses the inheritances of the royal family. This palace was built in 1721 and has solid gold and silver guns inside the palace. This palace has the jewels of the Gaekwad royal family, including the Star of the South diamond necklace. Clothes embroidered with precious stones and seed pearls are also there as a part of the collection.
The Makarpura Palace
This is the summer palace of the royal family, was built by Maharaja Khende Rao in 1870 in Italian style, later renovated by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III and presently used by the by the Indian Air Force for training purpose. Though this palace is not open to the public but the outside grandeur of this three storey building is worth seeing from outside.