Kandariya Mahadev Temple is the largest temple belonging to the western group of shrines in Khajuraho. It was the first temple that was constructed on a general platform. The shrine was built around 1025 – 1050 by the Chandela rulers. The temple was constructed for the worship of Lord Shiva. A Shivlinga exists at the centre of the Garbha Griha.
The temple has been designed on the five-part architectural style comprising of the Garbha Griha, Ardhamandapa, Pradakshina and Mahamandapa. The temple has a tower with a height of more than 100 ft. The main section of the temple is decorated with numerous images that depict a rich style of carving and designing.
This temple is the only one to possess two exclusively designed interior toranas with delicate designs. The sculptures carved on the walls of the temple can be classified into three categories of gods, goddesses and sensual groups.