The man made reservoir is located 18 km to the north west of Bangalore created in the year 1894. It was constructed to meet the drinking needs of the city. The total catchment area of 73.84 sq km drains into the lake. Constructed across Arkavathy River and the reservoir has a bund of 1,690 mt with a total height of 40.55 mt.
The place is reported to have a large collection of birds usually found along the aquatic periphery even in this deteriorated condition. The birds like Kingfisher, Common Mynahs, Purple Sunbirds and many more have been reported in the vicinity of the lake which is a wonderful sight to see. The lake has been known to support wind surfing which drew much of public attention. Along the embankments of the lake there are other places of interest like the Government Aquarium, Horticultural Research Institute and Indo Danish Poultry farms with live stock farms.