The Bhuvaneswari Temple has been immortalised by Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore in his novel ‘Rajarshi’ and drama ‘Bisharjan’. The temple is situated besides the River Gomati and is located close to the old royal palace which lies in ruins today.
The Bhuvaneswari Temple is dedicated to Goddess Bhuvaneswari and was built in the 17th Century by Maharaja Govinda Manikya. It is estimated that the temple was constructed in around 1660 to 1675 AD. Before shifting capital to Agartala, Udaipur was the official residence of the Manikya dynasty and the capital of the kingdom. The beautiful temple is perched upon a three-foot elevated porch. There is a four chaala roof, stupas at the entrance and a core chamber that completes the architecture of the temple. Flower-patterned motifs are the highlights of the temple that adorn the pillars and the stupas.
The temple is frequented by Hindu devotees who consider it as an important religious destination of Tripura.