Chand Bawadi was built by Ali Adil Shah in 1557. It is a tank near the eastern boundary of Bijapur, and took nearly three years to be built.Post the decline of the Vijayanagar Empire, there were a lot of people who initiated new settlements in Bijapur.
The tank used to provide water to the entire city of Bijapur and had a massive storage capacity of 20 million litres of water.The tank later went on to become a benchmark for the other tanks created in the region. Soon, an exquisite complex was built around it and was mainly employed for maintenance of the royal family, and for their recreational purposes.
Ali Adil Shah named the tank after his wife – Chand Bibi.