On their trip to Mysore, travellers are 'recommended' to visit Oriental Research Institute that was established in the year 1891. The prime objective of this institute was to gather, change, publish and maintain all the old Sanskrit and Kannada holographs. There are around 33,000 palm leaf manuscripts in the institute.
Initially this institute was commenced by the Department of Education; however, it was later taken over by the University of Mysore. In 1943, the institute got its new and present name as Oriental Research Institute. The Oriental Research Institute is open on all working days from 8 am to 8 pm whereas on holidays, it operates from 10 am to 5:30 pm.