Charminar was built by Muhammad Quli Qutb Shahi in the year 1591 and to this day it is a prominent feature of the city of Hyderabad. This historical structure is now associated with Hyderabad in a big way and has even gained global recognition.
Charminar gets its name from two Urdu words, 'char' and 'minar', the combination of which literally means “four towers”. The structure of the tower spells magnificence and radiates the architectural grandeur of ancient times. The tower has four baroque and resplendent minarets that are annexed to four arches. The arches also support the minarets. The construction of Charminar was done after Quli Qutb Shahi moved from Golconda, to make Hyderabad his new capital.
The monument was built to thank divine powers for eradicating plague (of epidemic dimension) from the city. The Charminar attracts thousands of tourists every year not only because of its majestic presence, but also because of the old-world charm that can be still seen in this part of the city.