Fort St. Angelo, popularly known as Kannur Kotta or Kannur Fort is located at a distance of 3 km from the town of Kannur. The fort offers excellent vista of the surrounding regions as it lies facing the roaring waves of the Arabian Sea.
Constructed in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeid, who served his office as the first Portuguese Viceroy of India, the fort served as one of the major structures protecting the region from outside invasions. The fort has been seized and renovated by both the Dutch and the British and was a major military centre of British administration till India’s independence.
Today Fort St. Angelo is listed as a protected monument and is under the administration of the Archaeological Survey of India. As a heritage monument that shaped the history of the region, the fort attracts millions of visitors every year.
Open on all days of the week
Timings: 8 AM to 6 PM
Entry Fee: Nil