Built by the Portuguese in the year 1559 to protect against the invasions of the Mughal armies, Fort Moti Daman is spread over a massive area of 30,000 square meters.
The fort houses a number of cannons and the mouth of each of these is engraved with a crest and the year of its manufacture. The fort also houses the Church of Bom Jesus, the Chapel of Our Lady of Rosary and the Church of Our Lady of Remedies. The Church of Our Lady of Agustias, however, is located outside the fort.
Those interested in poetry would be surprised and delighted to see the house of Portuguese poet Bocage located close to the main gate of the fort via the sea. A marble tomb of the poet above the door of the small house indicates that the poet used to live here. The house is, however, locked.