The Aurobindo Ashram was founded in the year 1926 by Sri Aurobindo Ghose who had fled to Pondicherry to escape the oppression of the British. The ashram was headed by Mira Alfassa, better known as “The Mother” since November 24, 1926 till her death. She also headed the Sri Aurobindo Ashram Trust which she founded after the death of Sri Aurobindo in the year 1950.
The ashram does not allow children below three years of age into the premises and photography is possible only with special permission from the Ashram management. The Ashram is open to the public from 8.am till 12.pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm. The Ashram also has an expansive library which can be accessed with permission from the Ashram authorities.