St. John in the Wilderness Church is a tranquil place located in Mallital (the northern end of the Nainital Lake). This church was established in the year 1844. According to records, Daniel Wilson, the Bishop of Calcutta, came here to establish the foundation stone of the church. During his visit, he fell ill and had to stay in an unfinished house close to the forest. Therefore, the church came to be known as the St. John in the Wilderness. The church serves as a memorial for the victims of the landslide of 1880 and has a brass plaque, where the victim's names are written.