Shey Gompa, Ladakh

Home » Destinations » Ladakh » Attractions » Shey Gompa

Shey Gompa, founded by King Deldon Namgyal, is located at a distance of 15 km from the southern part of Leh. A large copper and gilded gold statue of a seated Buddha, considered to be the second biggest statue in the region of Ladakh, is enshrined inside this Gompa. The monastery was constructed in the year 1655 by King Deldan Namgyal, also known as Lhachen Palgyigon, in honour of his father Singay Namgyal.

Although currently in a ruined state, Shey was considered the summer capital of Ladakh in earlier times. Monks of the Hemis Monastery now manage the Gompa.

Please Wait while comments are loading...