St. Paul’s Church is named after St. Paul, the apostle of Jesus Christ. Of the three churches built by the Portuguese in Diu, this is the only functioning church where the small residual Christian community congregates and offers prayers. The church was built in 1610 and is dedicated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception.
The design and construction of the church exemplifies the best traditions in baroque style architecture. The interior of the church is embellished with minutely elaborate and artistically carved wood work.
The altar which holds the idol of St. Mary is made of a single piece of Burmese teak which is regarded the best in the world because of its intensity, toughness and long life. It is spacious enough to light 101 candles placed in lines.
The upper side of the altar is decorated with invaluable paintings and idols. The central area of the church hall where the congregation sits has a vaulted nave. The exterior of the church, with carved designs in white stucco worked out by the native artisans, is as much impressive as the interior in respect of elaborate detail in design.