Madikeri is a small hill town in Karnataka which is popular for the vast coffee plantations, lush forests and the hills covered by mist. Madikeri is part of Kodagu district or Coorg, it is also known as Mecara.
The hill station forms a perfect weekend getaway for the nature lovers and for those who are looking forward for a relaxing holiday filled with splendid views and greenery. The place is a perfect blend of natural, historical and religious attractions which caters to all types of tourists and makes it a complete holiday experience.
Madikeri wasearlier known as Muddurajakeri, which translates to Mudduraja's town, named after the Haleri King Mudduraja who ruled the Kodagu region from 1633 to 1687. The place is free of pollution; the calm and serene atmosphere invites every individual to come and spend their holidays here.
The slopes filled with woods, villages, rugged landscape, endless mountain ranges have always fascinated the tourists and still continues to.
Best Time To Visit Madikeri
Madikeri is a place which can be visited throughout the year; however, the best season to visit here is during the months starting from February to September to witness the Mother Nature in her full splendor.
PC: Sheryas Jayappa
How To Reach Madikeri?
By Air: The nearest airport to Madikeri is the Mangaluru airport which is located at a distance of 144 km from here. The airport has regular flights which connects it to major cities across the country and as well to a few abroad.
By Train: Madikeri does not have a railway station of its own, the nearest railway head would be the station at Thalassery, which is around 115 km away from here. The station has regular trains which connects the various towns and cities across the country.
By Road: Reaching Madikeri by road is one of the best options. The town is well-connected by roads and has regular buses running from Bengaluru, Mysore and other places. Bengaluru is at a distance of 264 km from here and it would take you around 5 hours to reach Madikeri.
Places To See In Madikeri
The fort was constructed by Mudduraja in the 17th century, he also constructed a palace inside the fort. As time went by the fort fell into the hands of Tipu Sultan, who revamped the structure using garnitw and also renamed it as Jaffarabad. Following Tipu, the British took hold of the fort in the year 1834. The palace was renovated by a ruler named Linga Rajendra II sometime during the 19th century.
In the north east corner of the entrance there are two life size masonry elephants which grabs the attention of its visitors. A church dedicated to St Mark was raised in the year 1859 by the East India Company.
Also known as Abbi Falls, it is located amidst a large blanket of coffee plantation and is around 10 km from the town of Madikeri. The misty spraying of water which cascades down to form a small river which eventually engulfs into the river Cauvery provides a mesmerizing view.
Abbi in the local language means waterfall, the water falls down from a height of 70 ft amidst tall trees and pepper vines. To reach the falls one must trek through a narrow path cutting across coffee and cardamom plantations.
Raja's seat is a small structure of four pillars made of brick and mortar. The structure was a favorite place for the Kings who ruled the land and hence was called as Raja's Seat.
The structure is built on a high ground which gives a bird's eye view of the cliffs and valleys of the entire Kodagu region.
The temple was built by Lingarajendra II in the year 1820. The temple is built in the Islamic style of architecture with a dome in the center and four turrets at the four corners. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and a mixture of the Gothic and Islamic styles.
According to legends the King had put a Brahmin to death in order to fulfill his political ambitions and to appease the spirit of the Brahmin, the temple was built and the Shiva Linga was brought from Kashi.
5.Gaddige Or Raja's Tomb
The monument depicts the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture, the structure houses the mortal remains of the Kodava royal family. There are three tombs built here, the central tomb is the largest amongst the three and contains the remains of the Kodava king Doddaveerarajendra and his wife Mahadeviamma.