If time permits, travellers can see Chand Bawdi (a stepwell) which was built by Ali Adil Shah (1557–1580) on the eastern borders of Bijapur city. Adil Shah named this tank after his wife Chand Bibi. When the empire of Vijayanagar collapsed, people in large number entered Bijapur. A new settlement started in the city which increased the need for better infrastructure. Chand Bawdi was constructed with a storage capacity of 20 million litres to provide water to the people.
Sometime later, this tank became an ideal model for other tanks built in the city of Bijapur. A big compound was constructed around the tank for the maintenance staff. However, the complex was occasionally used by members of the royal family for the recreation purposes.