Thalassery Fort (Tellicherry Fort) is a historical monument built in 1708 by the British East India Company. It played a major role in the commercial and military activities of the British during the colonial period. Built on a cliff that is situated on the banks of Muzhapilangad Beach, this fort carries within it many stories of colonial rule and the Mysore Invasion.
The structure of the fort comprises huge walls and elaborately carved doors. It has secret tunnels within it that lead to the Arabian Sea. According to history, Hyder Ali (the King of Mysore) made an unsuccessful effort to capture it in 1781.
The foundation of the fort is made of huge Laterite stones and magnificent mural painting from the 18th century decorate the entrance. Thalassery fort is one of the few monuments preserved by the Archeological Survey of India. There is an information gallery inside the fort in which pictures of burial caves, monuments and ancient paintings are exquisitely displayed.
Timings: 8.00 AM – 6.00 PM
Entry Fee: Nil