Abdulla Khan's Tomb is a beautiful memoir made up of white marble, built by the Sayyaid brothers in 1710 A.D. for their father. The rectangular tomb, located on a raised platform with four steps, has been designed with ornamented arches and has four towers.
The tomb is an excellent epitome of the designs of later Mughal era. A plaque here mentions a mosque being present close to it; however, the only structure located nearby is the tomb of Abdulla Khan's wife.
Akal Wood Fossil Park is a 180-year-old reserve located at a distance of 17 km from the city of Jaisalmer. This park sprawls over an area of 21 hectares. Tourists can see huge fossilised tree trunks and antique sea shells here. Future excavations under the administration of the archaeological department are expected to bring even more fossils into the light.
Ahar is a renowned archaeological site famous for the cenotaphs of the rulers of Mewar. The town which is located at a distance of 3 km from Udaipur has more than 19 cenotaphs of the rulers who were cremated here. Apart from the cenotaphs, Ahar also has an archaeological museum.
The architraves of the roofs are decorated with ornamentations, similar to that of the temples of the 15th century. The single upright stone of the architraves is adorned with images of Lord Shiva and Maharana.
Cenotaphs dedicated to Maharana Amar Singh, Maharana Sangram Singh, Swaroop Singh and Shambhu Singh are located here. Other cenotaphs present here include those of Fateh Singh, Bhupal Singh, Bhagwat Singh Mewar and Sajjan Singh all of whom were the rulers of Mewar.
Achal Nath Shivalaya is a popular religious centre built by Nanak Devi, the queen of Rao Ganga, in the year 1531. Visitors can see a water reservoir known as ‘Ganga Bawari’ near the Shivling inside the shrine. The temple houses various halls like the Garbha Griha, Mandap Bhavan and Kirtan Bhawan. All these halls are constructed with carved Chhitar stones.
Akbar's Palace and Museum, built in 1570 AD is counted among the strongest citadels of Rajasthan. It served as the meeting place of Mughal emperor Jahangir and Sir Thomas Roe, the English Ambassador to the Mughal court.
The Palace was meant to serve as residence to the Emperor and his troops while they were in Ajmer. In 1908, it was converted into a museum, which houses many Hindu Idols of the 6th and 7th centuries and of later years as well; these idols mostly depict a mix of Rajput and Mughal style of design.
A large black marble statue of Goddess Kali is one of the most famous displays here. Age old military and war equipments, ancient artillery and arsenals, sculptures and stone sculptures can also be seen in this museum.
The Adhar Devi Temple is another popular tourist attraction in Mount Abu. The temple is built on a high peak and is dedicated to Goddess Durga. The temple is located inside a cave. Devotees climb 365 steps into the mountain, with each step symbolising a day in a year, to reach the temple. The long journey does not deter the pilgrims, who visit here in large numbers to seek blessings of Goddess Durga.
Achalgarh is a small village in Rajmachi. It is famous for the Achalgarh Fort, situated around 11 km away from Mount Abu. A number of tourists who come to the hill station, also visit the Achalgarh Fort for its historic and religious significance. Originally built by kings of the Parmara dynasty, the fort was reconstructed at Achalgarh in 1452 AD by the Mewar king, Rana Kumbha.
The Achaleshwar Hamadev Temple lies in the premises of the Achalgarh Fort. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is believed that the footprints of the Hindu god are imprinted on a holy rock that is present in the temple. A large brass statue of Lord Shiva's bull, Nandi, is also placed in the temple, along with stone structures of three large buffaloes.
Contributing to the religious importance of the fort, there are also a few Jain temples within the fort. There are two main entrance gates to the temple, one being Hanumanpol and the other being Champapol. The Achalgarh Fort was constructed to protect the region from the invasion of enemies, to keep the inhabitants safe.
Abu Road is a city in the Sirohi district of Rajasthan. It is situated south-east of Mount Abu. The city was formerly called Kharadi. Abu Road is the biggest city in the Sirohi District, located near the Banas river, at an average elevation of 263 m. Ganesh Mandir, Brahma Kumari Ashram, the Chandravati Temple and the Bhadrakali Temple are some of the significant tourist attractions in Abu Road.
Akshardham Temple is one of the well-known tourist attractions of Jaipur. The temple, located in Vaishali Nagar, is noted for its beautiful architecture, magnificent idols, sculptures and carvings. This shrine is dedicated to the Hindu God Narayan.
Abdulla Pir is Abdul Rasul's dargah that is located in the southern part of the city. 'Urs” is celebrated here by the masses with gaiety every year. A large number of people from the Bohara community also participate in it. This shrine is located at a distance of 3 km from the district headquarters and can be reached easily by road.
Adhai Din Ka Jhopra is a mosque that has an interesting tale behind it. It’s believed that the structure was built in just two and a half days. The building was originally a Sanskrit college which was converted into a mosque by Mohammad Ghori in 1198 A.D.
The mosque is surrounded by a wall having 7 arches on which verses from the Quran have been inscribed. Designed by Abu Bakr of Herat, the mosque is an example of early Indo-Islamic architecture.
Later in 1230 AD, a jali (screen) was added under a raised arch by Sultan Altamush. A gateway in the north serves as the entrance to the mosque. The front facade is decorated by a number of arches built from yellow sandstone.
The main arch is flanked by six smaller arches and has many tiny rectangular panels that serve as the lighting system. These types of features are mostly found in ancient Arabic mosques. The interior of the edifice has a main hall which is supported by a large number of columns. The pillars are placed one over the other so as to provide more height to the structure. The columns, which have been built with large bases, diminish with an increase in height.
Adishwar Temple, also known as the Chaumukha Temple, was constructed during the 15th century. This shrine is quite popular for its architectural style which resembles a Nalinigulm Vimana, a heavenly aircraft.
It is one of the largest Jain temples which took 65 years to be completed. This temple holds great importance among the Jain people as it is one of the five most important Jain Shrines in the country.
The building of the temple has three storeys, 80 domes and 29 halls. Tourists can see pavilions supported by 1444 pillars at the base of the temple. The innermost part of the temple is adorned with a four-faced image of Lord Adinath or Rishabhdev.
Ajabgarh Fort, an attraction in the Alwar District of Rajasthan, lies between Bhangarh and Pratapgarh fort and is quite close to Sariska. This fort is closely associated with the history and mythology of the Bhangarh Fort and town.
The Fort was built by Ajab Singh Rajawat, the grandson of Madho Singh and is famous for its picturesque beauty. Ajabgarh Town and its adjoining areas are clearly visible from the fort.
Akbari Masjid, built by Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1571, is located between the Shahjahani Gate and Buland Darwaza in Dargah Sharif. The mosque which is made out of red sandstone is now Moiniua Usmania Darul-Uloom, which is now an Arabic and Persian school for religious education.
Green and white marbles have been used in the construction of this mosque. This shrine was constructed by Emperor Akbar when his prayers seeking an heir to his throne were answered at the Dargah Sharif.
Ahar Archaeological Museum, located 3 km away from Udaipur, has a large number of antiquities dating back to the 10th century AD. Earthen pots, iron objects and other artefacts that formed part of the lifestyle of primordial people are on display in this museum.
Several objects of 1700 BC, a statue of Vishnu-Nag-Nathan, and a 10th century statue of Lord Buddha are the popular attractions of the museum. Items that have been excavated from the mound of Dhulkot, a 4000-year old town, are also put on display in the museum.