Jagatjit Palace, popularly known as the Sainik School, was built by HRH Maharaja Jagatjit Singh, the king of Kapurthala, between 1900 and 1908. Designed by the French architect M. Marcel and built by Allah Ditta, it fairly resembles palaces of Versailles and Fontainebleau. Its elaborate figures and decorative ceilings are reminders of the renaissance style of French architecture.
The great Durbar Hall (Diwan-e-Khas) and Sunken Park (Baija) at the front are sure to capture the attention of tourists. Talented European and Indian craftsmen were called to decorate the exceptionally beautiful interiors of the palace. It also boasts of antique artworks brought from countries like France, Italy and Holland.
Jagatjit Club, built in a Greco-Roman style, is located in the heart of the city. A symbol of the grandeur associated with the royal family of Kapurthala, this edifice has various columns that resemble the Acropolis of Athens. Tourists visiting the club can see the coat of arms with the motto of the royal family of Kapurthala – Pro Rege et Patria (for king and country). In the early 19th century, this place was used as a church, thereafter, as a cinema hall in the 1940s and at present, as a club.
Elysee Palace is a major tourist attraction in Kapurthala that currently functions as a school. Built in 1862 by Kanwar Bikrama Singh, this palace shares its name with the former residence of the president of French Republic. This impressive edifice reflects French architecture and style.
Moorish Mosque is located in the centre of the city, reflecting the broad and tolerant thinking of erstwhile rulers. The Archaeological Survey of India has enlisted the Moorish Mosque as a national monument. Designed by the French architect M. Manteaux, this marvellous edifice resembles the Grand Mosque of Marrakech in Morocco.
Many artists from Mayo School of Art, Lahore, beautifully decorated the dome of this structure. The large compound is lined with pure Indian marble that adds a regal touch to the grandeur of this mosque. This structure is sure to capture the attention of travellers, especially those interested in history and art.
Panch Mandir is a complex of five small temples, which are dedicated to different Hindu gods and goddesses. Built during the reign of Sardar Fateh Singh Ahluwalia, these temples boast of classical historical architecture. The main entrance has been constructed in such a way that devotees can see all the five temples at a glance.
This is one of the two temples in India where an idol of Lord Surya is worshipped. Tourists can catch a glimpse of the famous idol of Lord Brahma as well. These temples are visited by hundreds of devotees on a daily basis.
Ghanta Ghar, also known as the Clock Tower, was constructed more than a century ago, in the year 1901. Surprisingly, this tower stopped working in 1949, after the demise of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh. The Archaeological Survey of India undertook the maintenance work of this redstone clock tower, which chimes perfectly at present.
Mazar of Mir Nasir Ahmed is dedicated to Mir Nasir Ahmed - the descendent of the legendary singer Mian Tansen. Mir Nasir Ahmed started the Kapurthala Gharana, introducing Punjab to Tansen’s Senia-Beenkar tradition. This tomb is considered as a pilgrimage for all classical musicians and singers. The arches and domes of this beautiful mazar depict a mix of Indian and Mughal architecture.
Shahi Samadhan (The Royal Cenotaphs) is part of the famous Shalimar Garden. Surrounded by a pool, park and library, this place has mausoleums of former rulers of Kapurthala. A huge structure on a marble plinth contains the samadhi of Kharak Singh, Jagatjit Singh and Paramjit Singh.
The garden and samadhis exhibit traditional architecture as well as grandeur associated with the royal family. This garden also hosts the annual Basant Panchami Mela that draws several tourists to Kapurthala. It also houses the famous Baradari, which is believed to be the place where Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Maharaja Fateh Singh first met.
The State Gurdwara is located conveniently in the heart of the city, on Sultanpur Road. The gurdwara, built in 1915 and reflecting Indo-Saracenic style, was constructed using red sandstone. Recently, the structure of the gurdwara was painted in white. The structural grandeur and serenity of this religious site attracts a lot of devotees and tourists every year.
The Jubilee Hall was built in 1916, to mark the silver jubilee of the rule of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh. The erstwhile Durbar Hall of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh presently functions as the Nawab Jassa Singh Ahluwalia Government College. Its beautiful and ornate structure makes it a favourite tourist attraction of Kapurthala. Besides, the Jubilee Hall is popular amongst tourists for its greenery and soothing ambience.
The Villa Buena Vista is a private property, owned by the grandson of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh. It is popularly known as The Villa and is located around 4 km away from the city. This villa was designed by J O S Elmore in the year 1899. Previously,, this was a hunting lodge of the royal family and was later converted to a living quarter for Anita Delgado - Spanish wife of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh. Presently, it is a popular picnic spot and is frequented by tourists for boating and fishing.
Kanjli Wetland, situated 5 km away from Kapurthala on river Kali Bein, is a popular picnic spot. Known for its rich flora and fauna, this place provides shelter to 40-50 varieties of migratory birds. This paradise for wildlife photographers and conservationists is also a popular spot for boating and fishing.
War Memorial, built in 1923, is popularly known as Capt. Jhagger Singh War Memorial. This structure, made using red sandstone and containing a bronze statue of a Kapurthala soldier, aptly represents the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture. Surrounded by a lush garden, this place is ideal for spending leisure time.
Durbar Hall, located in the heart of the city, is a magnificent structure boasting of Indo-Saracenic architecture. It has the Court of District and Sessions Judge along with the office of the deputy commissioner. Every hall in this structure reflects the artistic intellect of rulers of the state of Kapurthala. The lattice work on stone adds a royal touch to the ambience of the whole building. The place also houses a huge bronze statue of a member of Kapurthala royal family facing the main wooden entrance.
Gurdwara Ber Sahib is a popular religious site for Sikhs that is located in Sultanpur Lodhi. It is believed that Guru Nanak Dev Ji - the first Sikh guru - spent 14 years of his life here. He also attained enlightenment at this place, when he was bathing in the small rivulet called Bein.
The place has been named after the ber tree planted by the Sikh guru. The current structure was built by Maharaja Jagatjit Singh on a high plinth with various octagonal columns and an ornate entrance gallery. Multiple floral designs adorn the walls and ceiling of this structure. A fair is organised in November every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji.