Uparkot is the oldest place of Junagadh and is also the main centre of the area. It is the upper citadel which was built about 2300 years back. The walls here at 20 m high at some places. Caves here are believed to be built during the 1-4 century AD. They have beautiful entrances and pillars, water cisterns, an assembly hall and a cell for meditation. There is also a deep moat of 300 ft, which used to be inhibited by crocodiles. If any attacker manages to climb the high walls of the fort and enter inside, the person would either fall into the moat full of crocodiles or he would be exposed to the upper battlements.
Inside the entrance of the fort, you can find symbols of different rulers of Uparkot, and there are temples of Ganesh, Hanuman and Shakti.
Darbar Hall Museum is one of the mostly visited attractions of Junagadh. The present Darbar Hall Museum was earlier used as a darbar (court) by the then Nawabs of Junagadh. The museum also gives the tourist a glimpse into the lifestyle of the Junagadh Nawabs, as the collectibles displayed there include silver coins, chandeliers, settees, thrones and palanquins among many other items used by the Nawabs. The museum also has a Picture Gallery and Textile & Arms Gallery.
The Sakkarbaug Zoo was established in the year 1863 at Junagadh on an area of 200 hectares. The zoo is an effort to breed and protect some endangered species of animals like the purebred Asiatic Lion. The zoo also has some rare species of animals like the Indian gaur, Malabar giant squirrels, marmosets and green pheasants, which are known to be bought from the Mysore Zoo in exchange of a pair of Asian lions. The zoo is open on all days except Wednesdays from 9 AM to 6.30 PM. The entry fee of the zoo is Rs10 for an Indian and Rs 50 for a foreigner.
Ashoka's Edicts are the inscriptions on rocks which were made during King Ashoka's ruling period. The rock edict is considered as the most important one among the many edicts of Ashoka. It is located on the Saurashtra peninsula of Junagadh in Gujarat. Since it is inscribed on the high mountain rocks of Girnar, the edict is not easily accessible by all. The inscription is in Brahmi script, which claims to be the oldest script that was used in India.
Buddhist caves are found inside Uparkot. These are believed to be the quarters of monks and supposed to be around 1500 years old. These “caves” are rich in intricate stone carvings and floral works.
Jama Masjid is located inside Uparkot. This mosque was earlier the palace of Ranakdevi. It was later converted into a mosque by Sultan Mohammad Begda after conquering the princes of Saurashtra. The beautiful mosque is known for its 140 pillars that support the ceiling.
Narsinh Mehta Na Choro is believed to be the place where the great poet, saint and reformer Narsinh Mehta held his assemblies and discoveries during the 15th century. It is also said that Lord Krishna used to hold “Rasleela” at this place for his dear devotee, Narsinh Mehta.
The Satguru Rohidass Ashram is an ashram where Satguru Ravidass (later named as Satguru Rohidass ji) spent 15 years of his life in the Sarsai village of Junagadh district of Gujarat. According to the folks of Sarsai, there were 7 kunds in the ashram related to Satguru Rohidass ji, of which only 3 exist today. Satguru Rohidass ji taught lessons related to universal brotherhood, tolerance and the like, which are of great significance in today's world. Some of Satguru Rohidass ji's disciples were King Pipa, Mirabai and Queen Jhalla.