Jhalawar Fort also known by the name Garh Palace is located at the centre of the Jhalawar city. Maharaja Rana Madan Singh built the fort during 1840-1845. Presently, the Collectorate and many other Government offices operate from this fort. Successors of the Maharaja enhanced the beauty of the place by adorning it with beautiful paintings.
The paintings are still kept inside the rooms and can be seen after availing permission from the concerned authorities. Zenana Khas also known as Women’s palace is embellished with frescos on mirrors and walls; these are fine examples of the Hadoti School of Art.
Bhimsagar Dam is located at a distance of 24 km from Jhalawar. It is built over river Ujad in proximity to the ruins of Mau Borda, which used to be the capital of the Khichi Chauhans. Wreck of temples, palaces and mosques to Muslims and Rajputs are found in this region. Moreover, tourists can also enjoy picnics at this place.
Gagron Fort is located at a distance of 12 km from Jhalawar. The fort was constructed between the 7th and 14th century. It is surrounded by water of the Ahu and Kali Sindh on three sides. Protected by water and forests, this fort is among the few historical sites which has both ‘van’ and ‘jal’ durg.
Outside the fort, travellers can find the Dargah of the Sufi Saint Mitthe Shah. Every year on the occasion of Muharram a fair is organised in this place. The monastery of Saint Pipa Ji, who is renowned as the contemporary of Saint Kabir, is also located near the fort.
Chandrabhaga Temples are situated on the banks of the river Chandrabhaga, about 7 km from Jhalawar. Built between 6th and 14th centuries these temples are classic examples of the art of the old days. The beautifully chiselled pillars and arch-shaped gateways depict the artistic excellence of the artisans of the bygone era.
There are many temples on the banks of the river, but three of the most popular ones are Shri Dwarkadhish Temple, the Shantinath Jain Temple and the Padmanath Temple.
Buddhist Caves and Stupas are prime attractions of the Jhalawar. These primordial rock-cut caves, which were excavated from the village of Kolvi hold considerable archaeological and historical significance. This village is located at a distance of 90 km from the city of Jhalawar.
The elephantine structure of Lord Buddha and the beautiful carvings on the stupas further add to the splendour of the caves. Several villages surround Kolvi village, as if acting as the epitome of the thriving civilisation that existed centuries ago. One can clearly sense the significance of Buddhist culture in the natives of the region.
Prithvi Vilas Palace was built in the year 1912 A.D by King Bhawani Singh. Presently, a family member of the former ruler of the place lives in this palace. The palace can be entered from three sides, and the palace also houses a monogram that states the stories of humility and chivalry of the former rulers.
Bhawani Natya Shala is located in proximity to the Jhalawar Fort. Built in the year 1921, this magnificent theatre bears witness to some of the most memorable plays and cultural events. The highlight of the place is its unique underground construction. Also, the stage is built at a low elevation so that the horses and chariots can be made to appear easily.
It is believed that there are only eight such theatres in the whole world. During the time when the theatre was extremely popular, renowned plays like Shakuntalam and Shakespeare were performed here. This Natya Shala served as the Parsi theatre too. Tourists who are inclined towards art can visit the theatre and relive the magic of the bygone era.
Jhalara Patan is located at a distance of 7 km from Jhalawar. The unique feature of the place is that the whole city is bounded by a wall. Parmara Chandra Sen, who was the grandson of Maharaja Vikramaditya, was the builder of this city. Jhalara Patan, which is also known as the ‘City of Temple Bells’ rests on the banks of the Chandrabhaga river.
British East India Company officer named James Tod claims to have counted about 108 temples in this area. One of the famous shrines here is the 100 ft high, 10th century Surya Temple. It is adorned with beautiful sculptures, which further enhance its charm.
In addition, there is a group of temples constructed in the 6th-14th century. Two of the prominent temples of the place include the Shantinath Jain temple and Shri Dwarkadhish temple that were built by Jhala Zalim Singh in the 11th century. Tourists visiting Dwarkadhish Temple can also see the Herbal Garden and Choupati.
Jain Swetambar Nageshwar Parshwanath Temple is located in the southern most zone of Jhalawar, at a distance of 150 km from the city. The shrine, which is dedicated to Lord Parshwanath was constructed by the Jain communities of Gujarat, Maharashtra and Malwa (Madhya Pradesh).
The statue of Lord Parshwanath housed in the temple is more than 1000 years old. Tourists visiting this place can avail food and accommodation in the dharamshala at affordable rates.
Government Museum was established in the year 1915. Rare manuscripts, beautiful sculptures, age-old coins and paintings are the highlights of this museum. In addition to this, one can also find ancient inscriptions of the 5th and 7th centuries. Different idols, which have been excavated from ruins are housed in the museum.
The idol of the Ardhanarishvara Natraj kept in the museum was once presented in Moscow during the Festival of India celebrations. Some of the other statues include that of Lakshminarayana, Trimurti, Natraj, Vishnu and Krishna.
Atishay Jain Temples, are the renowned Jain Temples, which were constructed in the 17th century. These temples are located at a distance of 34 km from Jhalawar. The grandeur of the temple is depicted in its classic architecture. The magnificent 6 ft statue of Lord Adinath seated in meditating position attracts devotees from far-off zones. Devotees can easily avail meals and accommodation out here at affordable prices.
Dalhanpur is located on the banks of River Chhapi, at a distance of 54 km from Jhalawar. The temples located in the region are renowned for their exquisitely carved pillars, erotic figures and torans. An irrigation dam is under construction in the region. The beauty of the place is enhanced by lush green dense forests and herbage.
Manohar Thana Fort is located at a distance of 90 km from Jhalawar. The literal meaning of its name is ‘Beautiful Outpost’. The fort stands witness to the merging of the two rivers, namely Parvan and Kalikhad. It has double layered fortification and battlements, because in the ancient times, the location was significant from the security point of view.
Fort of Gangdhar is situated at a distance of 140 km from Jhalawar. An ancient rock inscription is the highlight of the place. Moreover, travellers can also visit some of the temples nearby.