The Nilambaugh/Nilambag Palace is the current residence of the members of the royal family. The palace is also the only 5 Star heritage properties in the city owned by the royal family. The palace was built in the year 1859 AD in a plot of 10 acres. Designed by a German architect, the palace has elements of Indian architecture in contemporary style.
The Takhteshwar temple is situated at the heart of Bhavnagar in Gujarat. The entire city can be viewed from the temple which is built on a hill. The temple was constructed in 1893 and named after its patron Takhtsinhji.
The Gaurishankar Lake and Victoria Forest are spread across 381 hectares of land and are also called Bor Talav, which is dedicated to Dewan Shri Gaurishankar Oza.
The lake was built in 1872 and it acts as a water reservoir for drinking water. It is also one of the most preferred tourist destinations and picnic spots in the city. A small forest near the lake is home to a variety of flora and fauna with more than 1 lakh trees. The forest also has two nurseries that cultivate plants for gardens and forests.
The picturesque Gangajalia Lake is located in the heart of Bhavnagar. This was earlier a dry rubbish dump yard which was later rejuvenated by the corporation. It has a jogger's park and has speakers to make the walk by the lake enjoyable to the ears too.
Gandhi Smriti stands as a memorial to Mahatma Gandhi. The building was established in 1955, and it has a huge collection of books and other items that were used by Mahatma Gandhi. The library takes one through various events of Gandhi's life portrayed through photographs.
Gandhi Smriti has become one of the most visited attractions of Bhavnagar over the years. It is easily accessible from every corner of the city.
The Brahma Kund (also known as Brahma Kunt), located in Sihor city in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat, is a stepped tank with many sculptures of Hindu deities. The kund (stepped tank) has a great historical significance. It is believed that the water from Brahma Kund is what helped King Siddharaj recover from his skin ailment after he was cursed by Ranakdevi.
The Brahma Kund is built in the style of medieval architecture with designs of steps, small temples, idols and deities which are carved beautifully.
Khodiyar Temple is located on the banks of the Khodiyar Lake in Bhavnagar. The temple is devoted to its principle deity, Khodiyar Maa and was built in 1911. The temple is often visited by tourists from the areas nearby.
The Ganga Devi Mandir, as the name suggests, is dedicated to Ganga Devi. It has a chhatri (umbrella), pavilion and a bridge, all of which are in white marble. Ganga Devi Mandir was built in the year 1893.
The Veravadar National Park, which was established in 1976, is located in the Bhal region of Saurashtra in the Bhavnagar district of Gujarat. This was formerly the private grassland of the Maharaja of Bhavnagar which was used for hunting purposes. Black bucks are the main attraction of the national park while the other animals being nilgai, jackal, wolf, jungle cat, etc. are also found here.
Piram Bet is an island located about 6 km away from Ghogha in the Bhavnagar district of Gujarat. The island was created around 3.5 million years ago and is better known for its diverse forms of life that include many endangered species. It also has many old caves and a ruined fort which was built in 1325.
Talaji is a town located on the top of the hill where the rivers Shatrunai and Talaji flow. The hills are carved out into Buddhist caves or monasteries and were built thousands of years ago. It is worth climbing up the hill as you can find magnificently built Jain temples on the hill top. Tourists often visit this place to find themselves lost in the beauty of these temples and monasteries.
This lovely beach of Mahuva is located close to Bhavani Temple in the Bhavnagar district of Gujarat. The beach is known for its tranquility and natural splendour that it provides to the nature-lovers who visit the beach.
The Palitana Temples are considered as the most sacred pilgrimage place of the Jains. These are a group of more than 3000 temples located on the top of the Shatrunjaya Hills, exquisitely carved in marble. The main temple at the top of the hill is dedicated to the 1st tirthankar, Lord Adinath (Rishibdeva).
The other temples on the hilltop are built by different generations of Jains over a period of 900 years. Some of the other major temples are that of Kumarpal, Vimalshah and Sampriti Raja. Every Jain aspires to climb the hill up to the temples at least once in his lifetime due to its sanctity. The Jains also believe that many have attained salvation from this hill.