The Bugle Rock is a tourist attraction located in Bugle Rock Park which is close to Lal Bagh. Considered to be more than 3000 years old, the rock has evoked the interest of geologists across the world. It also features in many research papers on the evolution of Earth's terrain. Bungle Rock is one among the 26 such sites in India.
The rock has a watch tower as the spot gives a panoramic view of the Bangalore city. The Bugle Rock Park has fountains and water streams to please visitors. It is also popular for the resident community of Fruit Bats, that is currently on a conservation programme.
Among all the lakes that exist today in Bengaluru, Bellandur Lake is one of the largest of them. The lake covers an area of about 950 acres of land. Located off the Outer Ring Road, the Bellandur Lake is a good place for relaxation and rejuvenation after a hectic week.
Though the lake was once infamous for the polluted water body, the government and the citizens have worked together and brought a positive change in the maintenance of the lake. Bellandur Lake is around 13 km from the city of Bengaluru, and about 17 km from Bengaluru Railway Station.
Chowdiah Memorial Hall is a cultural centre where musical and theatrical performances happen time to time. The place also organizes competitions and other events related to arts and culture. This is a memorial dedicated to the violin maestro Tirumakudalu Chowdiah.
The auditorium here is built in the shape of a seven-stringed violin. It also has a marble foyer lit with chandeliers. This is perhaps the only auditorium in the world dedicated to a musician and shaped like a violin.
Cubbon Park is a landmark area of Bangalore city located right within the administrative area of the city, originally created in the year 1870. It can be accessed through MG Road and Kasturba Road. Though initially the park was spread over 100 acres, later it got expanded and now covers almost 300 acres.
It has a rich collection of flora and fauna. The park was originally named as Meade's Park. To commemorate the silver jubilee of the then ruler, the park was renamed again as Sri Charmarajendra Park.
The park has monumental limits amidst dense bunches of bamboo and other beautiful vegetation controlled by the Department of Horticulture of Government of Karnataka. The park is often inhabited by morning walkers, naturalists and loners who study nature in a tranquil environment.
An exotic collection of flora fond in the park amounts to 68 genre and 96 species totaling to about 6000 plants/trees. The building belonging to premises of the park includes Attara Kacheri which is now the High court, museum, Seshadri Memorial Hall.
The park is also under the shade of the Preservation act, 1979. The Park doesn't have any restrictions on visiting time and is open to public, but the roads are closed between 5 AM and 8 AM every day.
Gandhi Bhavan in Bengaluru is dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation. Located on the Kumara Krupa Road, Gandhi Bhavan promotes the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi and throws an insight into his life. The extensive picture gallery here portrays the whole life of Gandhi from his childhood till the last moments of his life. Gandhi Bhavan is also venue for meetings on Gandhian values and principles.
The Bangalore Aquarium is the second largest aquarium in India and is located on Kasturba Road, near Cubbon Park. Known for its vast display of aquatic life, the aquarium is inside an octagonal-shaped building. It is also interesting that the State Government Department of Fisheries tries to create a natural habitat for the fish in the aquarium.
Also known as the Government Aquarium, it has a wide range of cultivable and ornamental fish displayed. The building has three floors, of which the ground floor is for the office and laboratory. The first floor and second floor have 14 and 69 tanks of fish, respectively.
Vishwesharayya Museum is also near to the aquarium. The various species of fish here include glowlight tetra, pearl gourami, blue gourami, angelfish, hockey stick tetra, etc.
Opening Hours: 10am – 5.30 pm except on second Tuesdays.
The International Airport in Bengaluru is located roughly 40 km away from the central part of the city. It also holds the record of the fourth busiest airport in the country in terms of passenger traffic. The airport also serves as the main hub for Kingfisher Airlines.
The airport hosts about 10 domestic airlines and 21 international airlines. This makes Bangalore a well connected city to the rest of India and the world itself. Inaugurated in the year 2008, it is a joint sector venture between the German company Siemens and the Government of Karnataka and is designed to accommodate 12 million passengers a year.
Though it is in the vicinity of the Railway station and bus terminal, plans are being processed to lay a direct rail route from the station while the access through the national highway has already been widened to a six lane highway.
With a 71,000 sq m floor area, the passenger terminal is a fully air conditioned four level building that can house both international and domestic passengers. Another exclusive feature of the airport is a separate terminal for Hajj pilgrims and can handle 600 passengers at a time over an area of 1,500 sq m. Taxi services are available for easy access to and from the city.
This temple located in South Bangalore is a famous and interesting attraction in the city. Also known by the name Gavipuram Cave Temple, it is popular for the meticulous planning in architecture, which allows sun rays to illuminate the idol in the sanctum at a certain time each year. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, Gavi Gangadhareshwara Temple is a perfect example for the Indian rock-cut architecture. The temple was built during the 9th century out of a monolithic rock.
The Uniqueness Of The Shrine
Gavi Gangadhareshwara Temple attracts thousands of devotees on the day of Makara Sankranti in January each year, for it is on this day that the sun rays illuminate the Shivalinga inside the sanctum for about an hours time, passing amidst the horns of the Nandi sculpture that's located in front of the temple.
The phenomenon indeed proves that our ancient sculptors were extremely knowledgeable in the areas of astronomy and architecture. Apart from a shrine of Lord Shiva, the temple also houses a rare idol dedicated to the God of Fire, Agni.
Today, the Gavi Gangadhareshwara Cave Temple is a monument protected under Archaeological Sites and Remains Act 1961 and Karnataka Ancient and Historical Monuments. Located very much within the city close by a locality called Basavanagudi, it is easily accessible via all modes of transport.
The Bengaluru Fort or the Bangalore Fort was built by Kempe Gowda of Vijaynagar Empire in 1537. This was originally a mud fort and was converted to a stone fort by Haider Ali in 1761. The fort is in ruins today after the Third Mysore War that was fought between 1790 and 1792.
The remains of the fort has the Delhi Gate and the ruins of two bastions. The destruction of the fort was started by the British in 1791 and continued till the 1930s. Two huge iron cannons were unearthed due to the construction of Bangalore Metro. The fort is located near KR market, a popular shopping destination in Bengaluru.
The Government Museum in Bengaluru is the second oldest museum in South India. It is located at Kasturba Road in Bengaluru and is quite close to Cubbon Park. This archaeological museum has a huge collection like old jewellery, coins and inscriptions, sculptures, etc.
The museum also has displays of Halmidi inscription, which is the earliest Kannada inscription. The building is divided into two floors into 18 galleries that portray pieces of art, natural history, music, numismatics and culture. The museum is open on all days from 10 am to 5 pm, except on Mondays.
Bull Temple or Dodd Basavana Gudi is located in N.R Colony, Basavanagudi in South Bangalore. Here the main deity is Hindu demi-God Nandi. Hindu mythology has it that Nandi is the close devotee and vehicle of Shiva. This temple, the largest of this deity in the world was built in 1537 by the local ruler of Vijayanagara Empire, Kempe Gowda.
The idol of Nandi, 15 ft tall and 20 ft long is carved out of a single block of granite. The Bull Temple is built in Dravidian style and it is believed that the river Viswabharathi originated from the idol's feet. According to the legend, this temple was built to pacify a bull which went on grazing through the groundnut farm to the place where the temple is now situated.
As a remembrance of this story, Kadalekayi Parishe (Groundnut Fair) is still held near the temple during the months of November–December when the groundnut is harvested and this is the apt time to visit the Bull temple.
Dodda Ganesha Temple is located near the bull temple. Basavana Gudi is not at all a place hard to find for visitors. There are plenty of state transport services and tourist services from Bangalore.
Bengaluru Palace is located in the Palace Gardens which is in the heart of Bangalore city. This is located between Sadashivanagar and Jayamahal. The construction process of the building started in 1862 by Rev.Garett and was intended to look like Winsor Castle in England. It was later bought by Chamaraja Wodeyar, who was the ruler of Wodeyar Dynasty in 1884.
The construction of the palace spanning 45,000 sq ft floor area took 82 years to complete. The beauty of this palace is so renowned and when you enter through the gates from the front, the breathtaking beauty of the building will leave you spellbound.
The Palace has undergone renovation recently. The interior designing of the palace follows Tudan style of architecture. The lower floor of the palace has an open courtyard having granite seats entrenched with blue ceramic tiles which is a beauty to watch at nights.
In the upper floor we can see an elaborate Durbar Hall where the king addressed his assembly. The interior walls of the palace are decorated with Greek, Dutch and the famous Raja Ravi Varma paintings, adding to its beauty.
Located in Bengaluru city, the Dharmaraya Swamy Temple is unique because it is the only temple in India that is dedicated to the Pandavas. The temple is believed to be built by the Ganga Arasu people during ancient period, though the known history of the temple is vague.
The Archaeology Survey Department, after a study of the stones and other building material of the temple, has concluded that the temple is around 800 years old. Tales say that when Bangalore city was built by Kempe Gowda in the 16th century, the four corners of the city were marked keeping this temple as the centre.
The Karaga Festival is a popular festival that takes place here. It is celebrated in honour of Goddess Draupadi. The festival is to celebrate the good over the evil, which also symbolises the power of women. The festival lasts for 11 days with a number of poojas and other offerings done in favour of Goddess Draupadi.
Once you are finished wandering around Bangalore, it's time to do a little shopping. Commercial Street is threaded by a long strand of lamp posts with light. It can be reached through Brigade Road and Kamaraj Road.
In addition to large branded shops, there are shops selling shoes, art and other general goods. Commercial Street is famous for colourful clothes, especially for women. Shops will open by 10:30 am.
Plastic money like your credit and debit cards won't work in Commercial Street; you need to carry cash. You have to get down to a level of common shopping with a lot of bargaining. While most of the shopping here is for women, variety of shops are available ranging from local tea stalls, road side restaurants to keep men happy.
For those who are more conscious of hygiene, major food chains like KFC and Pizza Hut are available on the street. One day of shopping, bargaining and a dine of junk food can make you jaded because its a lot in there than you can imagine which makes you come back again.
The Devanahalli Fort in Bangalore is located around 35 km north of Bangalore city. The fort is popular as the birthplace of Tipu Sultan, the 'Tiger of Mysore'. Though the fort is in ruins today, it is still visited by tourists in different parts of the world as it has a historical background and archaeological relevance too.
The fort has 12 bastions and is spread across 20 acres of land, with very small entrances to the east and west. The entrances of the fort are decorated with cut plasterwork. The house of Tipu Sultan and Haider Ali is one of the main attractions of the fort. The birthplace of Tipu Sultan is another reason that brings tourists to the fort. There is a memorial with a small plaque that marks the birthplace of the King.