For 2016, Dates of Mysore Dasara is scheduled from 2nd October - 11th October
Is there a better place to visit than Mysore during the glorious festival of Dussehra? Dussehra is given the stature of a state festival here. The heritage city of Mysore is at it's vibrant best during the 10 day festival and gets transformed into a gigantic fairground, with concerts, dance performances, sporting demonstrations and cultural events.Travellers from around the world flock in to Mysore during this time to experience the mesmerizing events of Mysore Dasara which is celebrated in all it's glory and pride. Keep these Travel tips for Mysore Dasara in mind if you are planning to go and watch the 400 year old grand festival!
Mysore palace during Mysore Dasara - PC Ananth BS
Details of Mysore Dasara - Things you can't afford to miss!
- The festival starts with a procession of decorated elephants led by the Maharaja of Mysore which starts from the all lit up Mysore palace and leads up to the Dussehra ground.
- A palace lit up with lakhs of lights!! Don't miss the dazzling and grandeur view of the Mysore palace during the festival.
- The Dasara exhibition is something you shouldn't miss! Held at the exhibition grounds every year since 1880, the exhibition is a gamut of joy rides, gastronomic treats , shopping and much more!
- The dazzling procession on the last day of festival is a visual treat with richly costumed elephants, garlanded idols, liveried retainers and cavalry marching through the streets to the rhythms of clanging brass bands.
Remember these Travel tips for Mysore Dasara!
- Book your travel tickets and hotels well in advance since Mysore attracts a barrage of tourists at this point of time.
- Carry a printed copy of the city map and contact a reputed shop owner rather than a stranger for any assistance.
A procession during Mysore Dasara- PC : Navrooz Singh
- It is recommended to travel by foot or auto during the last days of festival to avoid parking problems.
- Buy handicrafts ,silk sarees and other related items from the Govt. approved outlets to avoid imitations.
- While in temples ,look for the special entrance tickets, which most of them have, to avoid long queues.
Route , Accomodation and Time!
How to reach : Mysore is well connected by train and air to all major metros and important cities of India. Bangalore is 145 km away from Mysore by road.
Best time to visit : The last four days of Dasara are the grandest. (8-11 October, 2016)
Accomodation : Try pre-booking as there would be heavy rush. Click here to find the Hotels in Mysore
Hope these things to remember during Mysore Dasara will come handy for you during the Mysore Dasara 2016. Happy Travelling :)