Lord Brahma, the creator god, along with Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu makes the Trimurti of Hinduism - the trinity of supreme divinity! Lord Brahma is highly revered in ancient texts, yet rarely worshipped as a primary deity in India. Lord Brahma temple in Pushkar of Rajasthan is one among the very few Lord Brahma temples in India and remains the most prominent among them.
PC : Ryan
Let's see 10 interesting facts about Brahma temple in Pushkar
- Temples dedicated to Hindu creator-god Lord Brahma are very few in number and Lord Brahma temple in Pushkar is the most prominent among them! Situated close to the sacred Pushkar lake, it attracts a very large number of pilgrims every year.
PC : Ling Wang Marina
- The temple is described to have been built by sage Vishwamitra and it is believed that Lord Brahma himself chose the location for his temple.
- Pushkar is often described in the ancient scriptures as the only Brahma temple in the world and as the "King of the sacred places of the Hindus"
- Mainly built of Marble, the present temple structure dates back to the 14th century. The temple is believed to be 2000 years old!
PC : bjoern
- Among the ancient Hindu temples in Pushkar, only a few have survived the wrath of time! The Mughal emperor Aurangazeb had destroyed most of the Hindu temples in Pushkar and it's an irony that the old temple of Lord Brahma is still perching on the sacred shores of Pushkar.
- The legend of the temple has an indelible link to the sacred Pushkar lake. It is believed that the Pushkar lake was formed out of a petal that fell from Lord Brahma's lotus!
-The ancient Hindu scriptures describes the lake of Pushkar as "Tirtha-Raj" - the king of sacred water-bodies. Surrounded by 52 bathing ghats, pilgrims throng in to the Brahma temple in large numbers, after bathing in this sacred lake!
PC : shantishakti7
- Being one of the very few temples dedicated to Lord Brahma, the temple sanctum sanctorum holds the central image of Lord Brahma. The temple has goddess Gayatri's central image as Brahma's consort, and not goddess Sarasvati's!
- Governed by the Sanyasi sect priesthood, a grand festival is held on the day of Kartik Poornima attended by thousands of devotees.
- International Business Times has identified Pushkar Lake and the Brahma temple as one of the ten most religious places in the world and one of the five sacred pilgrimage places for the Hindus, in India!
Lord Brahma temple in Pushkar continues to prevail as one of the most sacred temples for the Hindu community. Travel to this unique temple of Lord Brahma for a spiritual uplift! Happy Travelling :)