It is no surprise that India is dotted with impressive architectures. We had so many provincial kingdoms which have left their irrevocable mark through such structures. Here we are bringing you the story of Datia Palace in Madhya Pradesh that stands as a testimony to another glorious past.
PC: Lucky vivs
Datia was a state under the region of Bundelkhand which is now a district in Madhya Pradesh. Datia Palace or Datia Mahal was exclusively built for welcoming the Mughal Emperor, Jehangiri by the King Bir Singh Deo. Historical records suggest that it was Jehangir who made Bir Singh Deo as the ruler of Datia. Hence, they shared a good friendship throughout their lives.
Interesting Facts About Datia Palace
- Datia Palace is known by different names such as Satkhanda Palace, Purana Mahal (Old Palace) and Bir Singh Dev Palace.
- Datia Palace is built on a hillock at Datia around 67 km from Gwalior.
- Datia Mahal is a 7-storied architecture with two floors positioned in the basement.
- It is only made out of stone and bricks without any usage of wood or iron. So, the whole 7- storied building stands without any support of a metal or even wood.
One of the entrances
- Datia Palace was never inhabited by any ruler. Yes, strange no ruler including Bir Singh Deo lived in the palace. In fact, Jehangiri never came for a visit eventhough the whole purpose of constructing this palace was to mark his visit.
- Datia Palace has around 440 rooms and many courtyards. It took 9 years to complete the structure.
- The walls of Bir Singh Dev Palace (Datia Palace) is adorned with incredible paintings. These pictures were made using organic colours (extracts from fruits and vegetables).
- Datia Mahal is one of the great examples of Indo-Islamic architectures in India. A blend of Rajputani and Mughal styles gives it a luxurious look.
- We are sure these interesting facts about Datia Palace are making you curious to visit it!
Note: Unfortunately, Datia Palace is not well-maintained and is in dire need of attention.
Datia Palace stands on a hillock
Attractions inside Datia Palace
There is a Ganesha Temple, Durga Temple and also a Dargah inside Datia Mahal complex. The beautiful entrances, vast courtyards, elegant windows, stunning views of the city and several paintings on the walls are some of the incredible attractions inside Datia Palace. Hence, Datia Mahal is one of the beautiful fort palaces in Madhya Pradesh. Sadly, it is also one of the unexplored places in India.
How to Reach Datia Palace
Datia Palace stands on a hill on the Jhansi-Gwalior route. It is around 67km from Gwalior and is easily accessible.
Click : How to Reach Gwalior