Kasi Viswanatha Swamy is one of the most famous temples of Tamil Nadu. King Harikesari Parakkirama Pandian, the ruler of Southern Madurai, bought a Shiva lingam from Kasi and placed in this part of his kingdom, thus giving the place its name.
Later in the 15th and 16th centuries, King Pandia and King Thirumalai Naicker expanded the famous Shiva temple and called it Kasi Viswanatha Swamy Temple. This temple has been reconstructed and redeveloped several times since then.
First Aanaiappa Gnani reconstructed this temple. The Naickers further developed the temple and in 1659 Muthu Veerappa Naicker added the ratham or the temple chariot which is used for processions during festival times.