Bhangarh Fort, located in the Bhangarh town in Alwar District of Rajasthan, is a medieval fort. The fort was built in 1613 by Madho Singh, the son of the great Mughal General, Man Singh of Amber. The fort which is now in ruins is surrounded by a wall in a partially dilapidated condition.
The fort premises contain natural springs, waterfalls, gardens, havelis and banyan trees. Temples of Lord Someshwar, Gopinath, Mangala Devi and Keshava Rai are also present here. There is also a hilltop chhatri, which is secluded from the rest of the area.
People believe that the fort and the town of Bhangarh are haunted since many centuries. According to legends, Bhangarh Fort was cursed by an ascetic, Baba Balanath, when Ajab Singh violated the agreement that was previously made between his grandfather Madho Singh and the saint. People believe that it was for this reason that the fort was abandoned soon after its construction, and the town was deserted, as it became haunted.
Excavations by Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) have given enough evidence of the fact that the town is a pre historic site. The ASI has strictly prohibited tourists from entering the area both before sunrise and after sunset as there is a fear that the peculiar atmosphere of Bhangarh can cause a strange restlessness among the people visiting this place.
Want to share your reaction with friends?