The Holy Spirit Church in the Margao township area in Goa was originally constructed in 1564 before being destroyed as a consequence of war with a Muslim army in 1571. In 1645, once things stabilized, funds were raised, and the church was rebuilt and consecrated.
Towards the end of the month of May, the Holy Spirit Church celebrates a feast day along with a late afternoon session of Mass which is pretty famous all over Margao. Set to coincide with the onset of the rains, people from all over Goa flock to the feast but with their supplies of dried fish, vegetables and other staples. The fair generally goes on for around five to six days.
Inspired by Baroque architecture this church features tall towers, a clean white façade and interiors decorated with various works of crystal. The church also features well decorated altars and a huge centrally located dome. This church is home to almost 3000 Christian families.
Pilgrims and tourists can visit this church all seven days of the week. Getting to the place is easy enough, cabs and buses from Panjim and Vasco Da Gama are available to Margao.
For pilgrims and tourists based in North Goa, namely Candolim, Baga and Calangute, even Mapusa, the ride is a little long but well worth it. One can also spend the rest of the day exploring Margao which has grown from a small Goan village to a full-fledged city!