Nirvana Stupa, also popularly known as the Nirvana Chaitya is situated behind the Mahaparinirvana temple. Both the temple and the 2.74 meter tall stupa with a 15.81mts high dome built on a circular base stand on the same platform.
The stupa is made of bricks and was discovered along with the temple in the course of excavations carried out by General A. Cunningham, the first Archaeological Surveyor of India, in 1876.
It was restored to its original state by A.C.L. Carlleyle in the same year. It is believed that the entire monument was built by the Mallas to house the relics of the Buddha. It was further developed by Emperor Ashoka.
Subsequent excavations by the Archeological Survey of India discovered a copper vessel containing the ashes of the Buddha. An inscription on the vessel confirms the internment of Buddhas remains at this place.