The British set up exclusive cemeteries across the northern India including Karnal to lodge the tombs and monuments of the English men and women including the military commanders, generals, sergeants and the unknown compatriots. The Christian cemetery, set up in Karnal in the year 1808, is regarded one of the oldest in the country.
Want to share your reaction with friends?
It is situated by the side of the tower in the compound of St. James Church which was dismantled and removed to Ambala to be rebuilt owing to the shifting of the cantonment from Karnal. It lay near the Government High School on the then plot no 28 on the way to the police station.
The cemetery hosts the graves of some 50 English men and women. The notable among these are the tombs of Captain Robert Morris Bagshaw, Jn Banoman, Drum Major IX Regiment who died on the 8th January 1809, General Anson, the Commander-in-Chief and Colonel Hallifax of the 75th Foot who died on their way to Delhi. The cemetery was surrounded by a masonry wall in 1875. It has been declared a protected monument by the Haryana state government.