Kanpur Memorial Church was built by the British Government in India in 1875 to commemorate the death of the English people during the historic Siege of Cawnpur as the city was called during those times.
The grand church, earlier known as the All Souls Cathedral, sprawls in the centre of Kanpur Cantonment on Albert Lane close to Cawnpur Club. The red brick Lombardic structure of the church was conceived and designed in Gothic style by Walter Granville, a British architect of the East Bengal Railway. It is flanked on one side by a cemetery which contains the graves of the British people and soldiers.
The church also has a Memorial garden on its eastern wing, which can be reached through two gates. It has a carved screen, and a statue of an angel in its centre with its arms crossed and holding pylons symbolizing peace for the world. It was built by a sculptor called Baron Carlo Marochetti.