Tellicherry Fort, also known as Thalassery Fort, is a monument of immense historical significance located in the town of Thalassery. It lies at a distance of about 22 km from Kannur and is easily accessible by road. The fort was built in 1708 by the East India Company and carries a long history of colonialism.
Want to share your reaction with friends?
This fort, placed atop a cliff on the shores of Muzhapilangad Beach, served as an important center for the military activities during the reign of the British. Huge blocks of Laterite stones serve as the foundation of the fort, and it has an awe inspiring structure comprising of colossal stone walls, carved doors, and secret tunnels leading to the Arabian Sea.
Today Tellicherry Fort is much frequented tourist attraction and is under the administration of the Archeological Survey of India. An ancient Anglican Church, a cemetery that houses the tombs of many great British officials and Wellesley's Bungalow are the other prominent attraction situated close to the fort.