Kabirdham was earlier known as Kawardha district and is situated between Durg, Rajnandgaon, Raipur and Bilaspur. It stretches over an area of 4447.5 km². Kabirdham is a serene and peaceful place which is favoured by the nature lovers. The surrounding is picturesque with forests, mountains and religious sculptures.
Western and northern part of Kabirdham are bounded by Maikal mountain ranges of Satpura. It is located on the southern bank of River Sakari. It adds to the beauty of the place. Hills and forests makes the spot mesmerising. Vast stretches of greenery treat the eyes.
The name of the place originates from the advent of Kabir Sahib. His disciple, Dharmdas also had his seat at Kabirdham. It had remained Guru Gaddi Pith of Kabir Panth from 1806 to 1903. Kawardha was formed by Mahabali Singh in 1751. The name changed to Kabeerdham in 2003. It was a princely state under the British rule and was part of Bilaspur.
Agariya is the language mostly spoken by the people residing here, specially those belonging to the region of Maikal Hills. Haf and Phok are other rivers flowing through Kabirdham. Kesmarda in Maikal range is the highest peak here. Kabirdham is one of the destinations for upcoming airstrip.
Want to share your reaction with friends?
Kabirdham is renowned for Bhoramdeo Temple. Exquisite architecture of the temple resembles it with Khajuraho. It is therefore also known as “Khajuraho of Chhattisgarh”. The temple is 18km from the district headquarters. Its importance lies both historically and archeologically.
It has witnessed the rule of various rulers. Nagvanshi kings had their capital at this place during the 9th-14th century. Later it passed on to Haihayvanshi Kings. Remains of ancient forts which were constructed during the reign of these rulers are still available here.
Chaura and Chhapri are some other interesting spots of Kabirdham. Madwa Mahal is another exquisite historical monument of Kabirdham. It is 1km away from Bhoramdeo Temple. It is renowned for being the marriage place of Nagavanshi king and Haihawanshi Queen.
“Madwa” means marriage pandal in the local dialect. Though it was a Shiva temple, due to its shape like a marriage shamiyana it gained the name of Madwa Mahal. Dullhadeo is another name of this temple. It was constructed in 1349 A.D by 25th King of FaniNagvansh, Ramchandra Dev.
Cherki Mahal, Pachraahi and Jain Buda Mahadev are some other attractions of Kabirdham.
Temperate climate reigns Kabirdham throughout the year.
Kabirdham is well connected by roadways.