Maharaja Gangadhar Rao ki Chhatri is a cenotaph or a war memorial. It was built by Rani Lakshmi Bai after the death of her husband, Maharaja Gangadhar Rao on 21st November 1853. Located by the side of Lakshmi Tal or pond, the chhatri is regarded as one of the most important historical monuments in the city of Jhansi.
Despite being more than 150 years old, Maharaja Gangadhar Rao ki Chhatri has withstood the ravages of times. Its curved roof standing upon twelve artistically carved pillars is a splendid example of the magnificent architecture of those times.
The chhattri draws large crowds of local visitors as well as the tourists for its emotional appeal. The site evokes great patriotic fervor and deep reverence for the heroes of those times, particularly the valiant Jhansi ki Rani.