Indian Military Academy is the centre, where the officers of the Indian Army are imparted training. It became functional on 1st October, 1932 with a strength of 40 Gentleman Cadets. Brigadier L. P. Collins was the first commandant of the academy.
In December 1934, the first batch, the 'Pioneers' passed out of the academy. The proud alumni, included Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, General Muhammad Musa and Lieutenant General Smith Dun, who later rose to the apex positions in the Army of India, Pakistan and Burma, respectively. The academy was renamed as the National Defence Academy (NDA) in January 1950. After the shifting of NDA operations to Khadakwasla, Pune, the academy was again renamed to Military College.
In 1960, it was renamed back to its original name of IMA. There is a shooting demonstration room, a museum, 18 Holes FRIMS Golf Course and a war memorial, in the premises of the academy. The campus even has a helipad, located in the north-west direction in the Tons Valley.