Chapel of Our Lady of Angustias is situated just outside the Moti Daman Fort near the football ground. This is the oldest church in Daman built by the Portuguese. Its history dates back to the period when the Portuguese commander Alfonso de Albuquerque defeated the Sultan of Bijapur in 1510.
It was built by the then Portuguese governor in the 17th century on the grave of Agostinho Xavier de Silva Vidigal who was born in Lisbon and died in Daman in the place where the soldiers of the First World War were buried.
The church is decorated with rose petals of various colours. The walls of the church bear exquisite paintings portraying the lives of the holy saints. The gold plated altar in the church is carved with superbly intricate designs.
The gold plated woodwork and the variegated designs on the paintings of Jesus Christ and his apostles in the church testify the brilliant creative art of the Portuguese.