The Fort St David which was constructed in the 17th century by a Hindu merchant called Elihu Yale, is located on the Gadilum River. The British had purchased this fort from the Marathas and it was their headquarters for several years. The fort was under the governorship of Robert Clive.
The fort was captured by the French twice in 1758 and 1782. However, both the times the British took repossession. The ruins of the fort which remain on the Gadilum River are a must visit for its historical significance.