Gurdwara Saragarhi, as the name suggests, was built in the memory of Sikh warriors who sacrificed their lives in the battle of Saragarhi. One of the most significant events of its kind in world history, this battle unfolds the incredible story of 21 soldiers of the 36th Sikh Regiment who fought till death to protect the Saragarhi Fort against the Pathans in 1897.
Sir Charles Pevz, the erstwhile Lieutenant Governor of Punjab, unveiled this memorial Gurdwara at Amritsar in 1902. As a perpetual record of Sikh heroism, the names of the 21 martyr soldiers have been engraved on a marble stone fixed on the wall of the Gurdwara. This wall was constructed with the stones that were brought from the Saragarhi Fort.
The Gurdwara hosts a religious and an ex-servicemen gathering every year on 12th September. Of immense historical significance, this site is recommended for tourists.