Adhai Din Ka Jhopra is a mosque that has an interesting tale behind it. It’s believed that the structure was built in just two and a half days. The building was originally a Sanskrit college which was converted into a mosque by Mohammad Ghori in 1198 A.D. The mosque is surrounded by a wall having 7 arches on which verses from the Quran have been inscribed. Designed by Abu Bakr of Herat, the mosque is an example of early Indo-Islamic architecture.
Later in 1230 AD, a jali (screen) was added under a raised arch by Sultan Altamush. A gateway in the north serves as the entrance to the mosque. The front facade is decorated by a number of arches built from yellow sandstone. The main arch is flanked by six smaller arches and has many tiny rectangular panels that serve as the lighting system. These types of features are mostly found in ancient Arabic mosques.
The interior of the edifice has a main hall which is supported by a large number of columns. The pillars are placed one over the other so as to provide more height to the structure. The columns, which have been built with large bases, diminish with an increase in height.