Currently the State Legislative Assembly, the Ujjayanta Palace is one of the most awe-inspiring architectural brilliance in Agartala. Built in Indo-Greek style, it was built by Maharaja Radhakishore Manikya. It was built during 1899-1901 and Sir Alexander Martin of Messrs Martin & Co., was the chief designer of this palace. The name, Ujjayanta Palace was given by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
Want to share your reaction with friends?
The palace consists of a throne room, durbar hall, reception hall and a library, while there are several gardens surrounding the building. Spread over an area of about 800 acres, two temples have also been built within the area, that of, Lord Jagannath and Lord Umamaheswar.
The building in itself has three dome like structures, the largest of which lies at a towering height of 26 metres. The interiors are exquisitely adorned by wooden carvings, huge doors and minute work done everywhere. It is believed that the Maharaja during that time spent over Rs. 10 lakhs on the construction of the building.